Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ratios and Proportions Introduction

We have hit the ground running with our Proportionality Unit! I am so amazed by how well the class is taking to this unit as they have learned HOW IMPORTANT ratios are in the real world and how often we use them. Loved hearing today that they remembered using them in Science just a few weeks ago in a lab! How awesome they are seeing connections cross-curricular!


Day 1: All About Ratios, Simplifying Ratios and Comparing Ratios- pg. 40 in the INB


Day 2- Rates and Unit Rates- pg. 41 in the INB

Day 3- What are Proportions?- pg 42 in the INB



Day 4- Writing Proportions- pg 43 in the INB


Day 5- Solving Proportions from Word Problems- pg. 44 in the INB

All of this has provided some AMAZING conversation in class. We have started going into similar figures now to go along with our proportions and will be doing that the rest of this week. I will post more about that tomorrow.



The extra credit that I will be offering this six weeks involves ratios, proportions and similar figures. I will post the official information on it tomorrow but I will let you know, you will become the teacher and be creative in your project through one of two forms. Be on the lookout for more info.

Side Note: If you are a teacher reading this blog and are interested in the lessons above for Day 1-3, check out the All About Ratios Bundle in my TpT store! The Proportions Bundle will be coming soon as it has been revised from what is currently in my store that I taught with 8th graders. I will also have the entire unit available once completed.

These lessons can now be found in their updated form in my 6th Grade Ratios and Proportional Relationships bundle in my TpT Store as well as in my 6th Grade All Standards bundle.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, where can I find the page you worked on on day 4, Solving Proportions? I really like it and I would love to use it in my classroom. :)
    Thanks,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for you. How long are your math periods? I am struggling trying to get notes, and activities in with a 45 minute math block. We also have to do Daily Math Review which takes up 10 minutes so I am left with 35 minutes for math instruction. I love to do the flipables, and guided notes but I find that they are not getting all the info, nor do they have time to apply what they learned? What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on our class blog.

Blogging tips